Sunday, January 15, 2017

Thinking and Writing About Digital Media

          Like most people in the twenty first century, media has played a huge role in my life, especially as a student. Throughout many years of engaging with media, I have developed habits in the way that I consume different types of media including personal media, social media, mass media etc. When using media to communicate with others I prefer the conversation to be more personal and individualized as opposed to group messages, or public posts through Facebook. I’m not a huge fan of contributing to social media, so my posts on sites such as Facebook, or Instagram are very rare. I am more of a consumer of a social media rather than a contributor, which can be both a good and bad thing. Other forms of media are an important part of my life. In fact, my job is at the BYU broadcasting building where I work to help provide BYUTV and KBYUTV to people locally and around the world. I’m also a student studying English where media in the form of books is extremely important to me.
            I enjoy different forms of media such as films, newspapers (both online and printed), books, television, music, cell phones, social media websites etc. The most meaningful media in my life would have to be the media that inspires change within me. This change can be something simple such as providing a smile on my face, or something more impactful such as offering a different perspective on things causing me to think differently or deeper. I also enjoy the convenience that media provides in my life. Through media I am able to keep in touch with friends all over the world. I am able to complete school work with help from websites such as Learning Suite. I am able to surf the web, listen to music, and so much more. It’s hard to imagine a life without the accessibility of media.
            Although media can be a huge source of good, it can also be extremely difficult to navigate through as it offers negative and dangerous sources for those looking for negative sources, as well as those actively trying to avoid negative sources. Some of the guidelines I use to make the most of my interaction with media is to limit my use of it. Like most things, media is good in regulated amounts. I find that when I am spending too much time engaging in different kinds of media I start to develop a warped sense of reality. One thing that helps me when navigating through different types of media is to have a purpose while engaging in media, and this purpose can be simple, such as watching a short youtube video for a study break.

            I feel that my media habits could definitely be beneficial as a teacher, because I try to engage with media in a positive and useful way that would allow students to use and experience media in a way that will help them learn and progress. I like to remain up to date with technology and am not intimidated by learning new things about technology, and I think that that is very important as a teacher, because the world of technology is always changing and students are usually pretty tech savvy. I also feel that a regulated use of technology and media in the classroom is important so that students are still engaging in ideas and class discussions with one another.

1 comment:

  1. What are some ways you can help your students regulate their media usage in class? Would you want to avoid using social media in your classrooms?

    ReplyDelete