Sunday, February 12, 2017

Textual Poaching



Image result for faces by picasso                                                                     

For my textual poaching assignment I chose to identify myself as being a sister. A couple of years ago my sister passed away, and a result of that has been experiencing somewhat of an identity loss. All of my life my sister has been one of the ways that I identified myself, and she still is, but it's in a different way, because she's not here on this earth with me anymore. Going through this experience I have come to realize just how much my siblings are part of who I am, they make up my identity, and I wanted to represent that through this assignment. Pablo Picasso's paintings have always been very interesting to me, and I felt like doing something similar to his art would help portray what I was feeling. I love looking at Picasso's portraits because they express the complexities that make up an individual. It’s almost as if all of the different things that make a person who they are on the inside surface on the outside. Looking at Picasso’s portraits helped inspire the idea to do something along those lines. I started with my face, and added to it using different parts of my sibling’s faces. The parts that are mine are in black and white, and their parts are in color, representing the color that my siblings bring in to my identity. Without them I would not be the same person.

I think that for my future classroom, this assignment would be really cool for students to analyze some of the characters from novels that we would be studying. They could even choose something from the time that the book takes place to inspire them and then make a modern day adaptation/textual poaching to portray one of the characters.

1 comment:

  1. I like how this is celebrating a past work! How do your siblings help make up part of your identity?

    ReplyDelete